Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Trees and Trials

I don't buy the whole "the sky's blue because it reflects the sea" and vice-versa thing. I think God made the sky blue to help us fall asleep while while lying in the sun on a clear autumn day. After all, blue does have a soporific effect.

I was reading a book by Henry B. Eyring the other day while sitting by some trees and dozing under a brilliant blue sky. He talked about being stretched by Church callings and it reminded me of something I learned about trees earlier this year. Apparently trees need wind to become strong. If they're protected from the buffeting winds, their trunks and roots don't develop properly and they remain weak.

If we don't learn to trust God and face our problems, we run the risk of becoming like trees without wind. Aren't trials one of the reasons we are experiencing mortality? To "... prove [us] herewith, to see if [we] will do all things whatsoever the Lord [our] God shall command ..."? (see Abraham 3:25) If our faith isn't put to the test by callings or trials that challenge us, how are we to become strong?

Albert Camus captured this perfectly when he wrote: "In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

1 comment:

42 said...

change has come finally revealing the colors that lay underneath. a journey i will soon take. fallen tears give courage as i release my grip on comfort and feel freedom carry me to places unknown. but death may never grab hold for as i may tumble and be tossed i will settle once more. wind gives me a gentle kiss goodbye as troubles once haunting are forgotten in time. my leaf will bring nurture to the new.