Sunday, September 27, 2009

You Know It's a Good Day When...

Mum's birthday saw us at a restaurant talking about family, friends and fun times. I cracked a funny and she laughed so hard that the lemonade she was drinking came out her nose. Parents hope to see their children grow up to be caring, service-oriented citizens, while we just hope to see our parents laugh 'til they snort their drink.

Maybe Mum's reached the age where she needs a sippy cup again. I learned that term the other day in Relief Society when I was asked to pass one to the sister next to me. What on earth is a sippy cup? Not a baby bottle, apparently - that's for babies. It seems that any child who is 5 minutes or more past being a baby uses a sippy cup. Heaven forbid I should ask a 2.5-year old if she wants her bottle...

Had to ask Mum what we call sippy cups in New Zealand. Kiwi translation: beaker. Just hearing the word makes me want to crawl into a fetal position and suck my thumb. Such a Pavlovian response was the cause of many problems in Chemistry class, as you can imagine. That's probably why I'm not a nuclear physicist.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Why in the world would you call a sippy cup a beaker? I totally don't get that.

Southern Kiwi said...

You say tomayto, I say tomahto... :-)

Monty-Live said...

OK, so in France they call it "le sippy cup" right? Or do they call it "le beaker?"

42 said...

Lemonade through the nose never a good experience.

Em T said...

"we just hope to see our parents laugh 'til they snort their drink" It's so true!
Now remind me who is it that stole the job of visit teaching you? Maybe if I beat them up I can steal you back....

Southern Kiwi said...

Hey it wasn't my fault they changed VTs!! :o)